GIRLS FAST PITCH SOFTBALL - The CAA uses the following rules adaptations for fastpitch softball.
1. Girls 8th and 7th Fastpitch is played according to State High School League rules without modification. Girls 6th and 5th Fastpitch is played with the same rules but is subject to the modifications described in rule number ten below.
2. The bases are sixty feet apart at all three levels. Eigth and seventh grade teams pitch from forty three feet. Sixth pitch from forty feet. Fifth will pitch from thirty five feet. All levels will use bases at sixrt feet.
3. All games will be six innings. The ten run rule is in effect at every level after five innings (or four and a half innings when the home team is winning).
4. Each team will provide one new ball for each game. Additional balls will be provided as necessary by the home team.
5. The home team will supply bases.
6. Players must be students at the school they represent. Rosters must be delivered to the CAA office by May first.
7. Neither teams nor coaches may protest a judgement call (strike, ball, safe.) Protests relating to rules misinterpretations are accepted under these circumstances: The umpire must be notified that a protest will be filed at the time of the event in question. Protests must be made in writing and be delivered to the CAA offices within 24 hours of the game in question. Protests must be accompanied by a five dollar fee that will be returned if the protest is upheld. In all cases, the decision of the CAA is final.
8. Substitution Rule: A player may be pulled from a game and replaced with a substitute. For the original player to re-enter the game, she must re-enter the same position in the batting order that she had previously occupied.
9. Rainouts are the responsibility of the home team. The home team's coach should check the field and inform the visiting coach and the CAA if a game will be postponed on account of rain. Both coaches should agree on a date and time to makeup the game, and the CAA should be informed so that an umpire can be provided.
10. Girls 6th and 5th Fastpitch is played according to State High School League Rules with three modifications: A. Should a catcher drop a third strike, the batter is out. They are not afforded the opportunity to run to first. Third strikes that are dropped are dead balls, so base runners already on base are stuck at their present base without an opportunity to steal. B. Base runners are not allowed to steal bases unless the pitch is missed or dropped by the catcher and it travels behind the catcher towards the backstop. A dropped pitch that remains in front of the catcher or below the catcher shall restrict base runners from stealing a base on that pitch. C. Base runners who steal a base shall stop at one stolen base per play. In fifth and sixth grade softball, there is a five run rule per inning until the sixth inning when teams may score seven runs.
11. All levels shall be played with a 90 minute time limit. No new inning will start after 90 minutes.
12. The infield fly rule is in effect at every level. Coaches may assign a designated hitter to bat for any player, or every player may bat for herself. You finish the game the way you started. Coaches at every level may bat nine players and be subject to the substitution rules, or they may bat every player and enjoy free substitution. Again, you finish the game the way you started it.
13. If you have fifteen players and you choose to bat only twelve or thirteen, the remaining girls must substitute into the game on a one for one basis.